Remember when you were a kid and you would slurp on an electric green shamrock shake compliments of the “golden arches” every St Patty's Day?
Well, this recipe is reminiscent of that minty cool flavor -- but a million times healthier!
This drink is packed with goods fats from creamy avocado for supporting heart & hormonal health, as well as several other fiber- and antioxidant-rich green plants foods to support the immune & digestive systems.
Without further ado, here’s the Minty Mama Smoothie (or Healthy Shamrock Shake):
· 2/3 cup filtered water
· 2 dates, pitted, soaked
· 1/2 cup frozen pineapple (~5 chunks)
· 1/3 cup cucumber, chopped
· 1/4 cup green apple, chopped (organic if possible)
· 1/4 whole ripe avocado
· 2 handfuls baby spinach (organic if possible)
· 2 Tbs fresh mint, chopped (~5 leaves)
· Stevia to taste
Pour the water into the blender first, then add dates and let soak for 10 minutes until softened. Then add remaining ingredients and blend on high speed until desired texture is achieved.
Sip up the minty goodness and enjoy!
It’s actually best to “chew your smoothie” a little as digestion starts in the mouth!
1. Replace 1/3 cup water with 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk – so rich & creamy!
2. No frozen pineapple? Try frozen mango!
3. Fresh mint is ideal, but you can also use 1-2 drops pure peppermint essential oil (food grade)
4. Add 1 Tbs raw cacao nibs for the last 30 seconds of blending to add more fiber & texture to your smoothie – now it’s Mint Chocolate Chip flavor!
5. If you want to have a complete meal replacement, add 1-2 scoops of your favorite protein powder. Note that this will change the flavor, sweetness & texture of the drink.
Written By: Krista Goncalves
Krista is a Certified Holistic Nutritionist (CHN), Registered Nutritional Counsellor (RNC) & Women’s Health Expert. She runs women’s health programs online and in her hometown of Kelowna, BC. She also blogs daily about current topics in Women’s Nutrition Health & Hormones at MakingLemonade.ca – empow(her) your health!